exterior photo of Van Fossan Theatre.

Veteran Applicants

We appreciate the sacrifices that our veterans and military dependents have contributed as they serve our country. It is our turn now to support you and we pledge our best service to you. Veteran students are served through the Office of Admission and Office of the Registrar. We are committed to creating a veteran-friendly campus where veteran students can excel in the classroom, access support services and resources as needed, and connect with one another.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Bloomfield College is a proud participant in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program. This program is for veterans who served our country after the attacks on September 11, 2001. If you’re an out-of-state resident and you’d like to enroll at Bloomfield College, the Yellow Ribbon Program can reduce your tuition to match the in-state tuition that New Jersey residents pay.

Please see the Veterans Affairs website for an overview of the Yellow Ribbon Program and for specific eligibility requirements. The VA site also has more detail on Bloomfield College’s participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Veteran Application Procedures

Like all other students, start your application process by starting a new application. However, since your transcripts will include your military records, please submit them directly to Gloria Berrocal to ensure they’re handled properly.

You will also need to complete the following steps to ensure you receive your VA benefits:

Other VA Forms for Students

Veteran’s Services

  • Comprehensive orientation program for all new Veteran students
  • Support services during the transition to college life and through graduation
  • Course planning and registration process
  • Current information in educational benefits
  • Alternative credits programs (CLEP, DSST, PLA, Military credits)

Managing Your Veteran’s Benefits

Students eligible for veterans’ benefits register and pay their College bills in the same manner as non-veteran students. Reimbursement is made by the Department of Veterans Affairs on a monthly basis. The amount of reimbursement is governed by the student’s program and the student’s course load.

To be reimbursed the student must comply with the following procedures:

Initial Enrollment

Once admitted to the College, the student must obtain an Application for VA Education Benefits (Form 22-1990) from either the Department of Veterans Affairs or from the College. The completed application along with a certified copy of the DD-214, is sent to the Office of the Registrar.

Students transferring from another university or college will need to obtain a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Form 22-1995) from either the Department of Veterans Affairs or the from the College.

Office of the Registrar
467 Franklin Street
Bloomfield, New Jersey 0700


Students who received veteran’s benefits at the College the preceding semester and plan to re-enroll with no change of objective should inform the Registrar’s Office at the time of registration that they wish to be re-certified under the provisions of their original Application for VA Education Benefits (Form 22-1990).

Students receiving veteran’s benefits must take courses that lead toward the exact objective (usually a specific degree) on the original VA application. Otherwise, they must submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Form 22-1995).

Students utilizing veterans’ benefits must let their registrar know immediately of any change in their status or program that might affect the amount of their monthly payment from the VA. If they fail to do so, the Department of Veterans Affairs will seek reimbursement from the student for any over-payment.

Standards of Progress

Continuation of VA payments depends on the student’s meeting the College’s academic standards for all students, as well as any standards of progress which established by VA regulations.

If in a national emergency students are called to active duty, they will be withdrawn from classes without academic or financial penalty. Alternative arrangements may be made with the instructor in special circumstances. Documentation must be provided.

Contact Veteran Services
Office of the Registrar