Knox Hall on Bloomfield campus

Financial Aid FAQs

Financing your Bloomfield College Education involves important decisions you (and your family) must make throughout your academic career. The information on the our website outlines various forms of Federal, State, Institutional, and private assistance available to assist you in paying for your education. About 95% of Bloomfield College students receive some form of financial aid assistance.

Many of the questions you have concerning financial aid can be answered through this website. If you cannot find the information you require, please contact the Office of Student Financial Services:

Phone: (973) 748-9000 ext. 1212.

What is the deadline to apply for financial aid?

To receive maximum consideration for aid, students should apply to FAFSA before Bloomfield College’s priority date of March 15th.

If I miss the application date, can I still apply for financial aid?

Yes, most federal programs (Pell grants, Direct Loans) are available as long as you meet eligibility requirements prior to the last day of the academic year. The NJ State programs have an application deadline date of April 15th for returning students and September 15th for new students for receipt of the FAFSA by the federal processor.

Is there an income level cutoff to qualify for financial aid?

No, there are many factors in addition to income which are used to determine eligibility for need-based aid. In addition to income, other factors such as family size, number of family members in college, assets, and parents’ age are considered when determining the students’ eligibility for financial aid. All are encouraged to apply whether or not you think you will qualify. By filing your FAFSA, you are making yourself eligible for GUARANTEED Federal Direct loans that carry a low interest rate and do NOT require a credit check.

Do I have to apply every year to receive financial aid?

Yes. You must file your FAFSA annually and it is encouraged that you meet Bloomfield College’s priority deadline date of March 15th.

What is Bloomfield College’s Federal School Code?

Bloomfield College’s Federal School ID is 002597.

Do I need a separate form to apply for a Federal Direct Loan?

Once you file the FAFSA, you will receive a Financial Aid Award Letter including all Federal, State and Institutional Grants, Scholarships and Loans for which you qualify. Federal Regulations require all first time loan borrowers at Bloomfield College to complete an Entrance Counseling and a Federal Master Promissory Note, which can be done online at

If I am selected for Federal Verification do I submit Federal tax returns to the Office of Student Financial Services?

No, if you are selected for Federal verification, you now are required to submit Federal tax transcripts for both you and your parents to the Office of Student Financial Services, if you were all required to file taxes.

How do I know if I am eligible for the NJ Tuition Aid Grant (TAG) from the State of New Jersey?

All New Jersey residents are considered for the New Jersey Tuition Aid Grant (TAG). You can check your grant status and eligibility by creating an a NJFAMS account.

Am I Independent?

A student is only considered independent if they are:

  • 24 years old or older
  • Married
  • Have a dependent that they support
  • A veteran
  • Orphan
  • Ward of the court
  • Already have a bachelors degree
  • Emancipated minor
  • Homeless

If you do not meet these criteria you are not considered independent. If you are a student whose parents have kicked them out and abandoned them, you need to submit proof of this. You will need two letters from pillars in your community (religious leader, etc) who know your situation. A parent’s failure or refusal to pay for college does not make a student independent in the eyes of the Federal and State government for financial aid.

What if there is a change in my household income?

If there is a change in your household income due to a change of income resulting from:

  • divorce
  • unemployment
  • death
  • loss of untaxed benefit ( ie: worker’s compensation, child support, pensions and annuities, social security benefits)
  • a taxed medical expenses

You can complete a special circumstance form to have your financial aid re-evaluated. We will not process this request for bankruptcy, increases in personal expenses (ie: mortgage payments, tuition increases for siblings, car payments), reduction in overtime or commission, non- taxed medical expenses, etc.