Photo of one of Bloomfield College dorms.

Transfer Credit Policy

Transfer students who apply and will be transferring in more than 16 credits need not submit high school transcripts or SAT/ACT scores.

Coursework completed at a regionally accredited college or university or program with a grade of C (2.0) or better will be accepted, provided it is consistent with the Bloomfield College of Montclair State University curriculum. Please be aware that only credits transfer and not grades. A student’s grade point average at Bloomfield will reflect only coursework completed at Bloomfield College of Montclair State University.

If you are transferring from a regionally accredited four-year institution, we do not currently limit the number of credits you may transfer. Keep in mind, though, that you will need to complete a minimum of 30 credits at Bloomfield College of Montclair State in order to receive a degree. If you are transferring from a regionally accredited two-year institution (community college) or two-year program, you may transfer up to 60 credits towards your bachelor’s degree.

A maximum of 12 credits from past coursework may be earned by submitting any of the following to the Office of Admission for evaluation:

  • Scores achieved in Advanced Placement Examinations of the College Entrance Examination Board
  • Credits earned at other accredited colleges and universities
  • Coursework taken at non-accredited institutions or organizations recommended for baccalaureate credit approved by the American Council of Education (ACE) and listed in Accredited Institutions of Post-secondary Education. (Coursework taken through non-accredited institutions or institutions not approved by ACE or listed in Accredited Institutions of Post-secondary Education will receive credit upon recommendation of the appropriate division chairperson and completion of six courses (24 credits) at Bloomfield College with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better).
  • The International Baccalaureate degree as well as courses may be accepted from approved institutions in foreign countries (with evaluation by World Education Services, Inc.)
  • Scores achieved on examinations taken through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or DSST examination, used to earn college credit
  • Credit earned through the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA).

Find more information about transferring to Bloomfield College, as well as a list of our articulation agreements.

Need help understanding the transfer process? We’re happy to help! Please contact us at for assistance.